HOW DO WE PROTECT OUR SPACE AND PATIENTS DURING COVID?
Several new measures are being taken as we re-open for regular dental care:
- Office front door will be open, no touch policy
- Building stairwell, elevator, bathrooms are disinfected daily and building will follow mask on policy
- Staff temperatures taken prior to leaving home and again when arriving to work
- No touch temperature of patients taken at arrival
- Temp of 100.4 or above, person will be sent home and reappointed
- All hard surfaces will be wiped down with medical grade disinfectant throughout out the day
- Waiting room chairs spread out, no more than 3 present at a time
- Hand sanitizer available in waiting room and throughout office
- Electronic forms can be filled out prior to arrival or in office via iPad
- Mask on policy at all times (except for the patient!!)
- N95 and KN95 mask, disposable PPE, for practitioners
- Barrier shields at front desk and waiting area
- Extended appointment times for between appointment operatory disinfection
- Barriers on treatment rooms
- HEPA and UV-C air filters in all treatment rooms with maximized air exchange
- New suction system to reduce aerosols in operatory during treatment
Infection controls and universal precautions protect clients and staff alike. Everyone benefits from rigorous infection control — you, your dentist, and the dental team. The cornerstone in a good and safe dental practice is the element of trust. You should feel free to discuss this topic with Dr. Sommerfeld or Dr. Patel and receive a straightforward answer.
Drs. Sommerfeld and Patel, and our entire team follow procedures recommended by several federal agencies: the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA), the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). These measures include:
- Disinfectant hand soap
- Gloves and face masks
- Chemical disinfection of countertops and surfaces
- Sterilization of all equipment before every use
- Disposable materials
We sterilize all reusable equipment, including dental hand pieces. We use an autoclave, a device that kills bacteria and viruses by steam, heat and pressure.
The best defense against disease is information. The more you know, the better equipped you are to make wise decisions about your health care. The more you know about our daily procedures and policies, the more comfortable you will feel.